Last Days--Heading to Fog

SUNDAY

 Our plan was to head to Steven’s early, leave the car down the road in the usual spot ( I did mention we can’t drive up to his house because the road is largely unpaved, rocky, with many divots, high grass in the center and muddy when wet, which is at least once a day, etc).  Oh, and steep.  
 So the plan was to walk up there with our load of stuff—laptop and other electronics we can’t use here, spare clothes if needed, and whatever else for the day/evening. 
  I had been invited to a woman’s home where she was originally going to teach Mary’s grandkids, daughter, and I how to make a portrait quilt, but she later realized she had another commitment, so we had to cancel.  I had mixed feelings—I wanted to see her house which displays many of her quilts, but learning another new craft worried me because when would I find time for yet another?  So since she couldn’t teach us, we were invited to come down and see her home before she had to leave.  What a treat!  Phyllis is well-versed in not only quilting, but in other arts as well.  She paints, makes beads and flowers with polymer clay, makes amazing dolls with materials, beads, and nylon stockings for heads. 


Her home is beautiful with close-by ocean views out every window.  She has turned what used to be someone’s living room into her studio with the living room in a small adjoining room.  
portrait quilts





This quilt is huge and in her kitchen over the doorway between it and the dining room.  It's phenomenal in all its details.  

This piece is worked with threads for details.




  I admired the clay flowers she made, so she whipped out the clay, handed out small pieces to everyone and said to make balls.  Then she showed us how to flatten one side while pinching the other, which everyone did several times.  Then we joined each piece as we did them and created flowers.  Matthew and I worked on one together, which ended up not exactly working out, especially when Phyllis handed me a pin finding to add by pressing into the back and I flattened the flower trying to add it.  As we were leaving, she handed me the rest of her package of clay and said to take it and play.  She's definitely my kind of of artist.  Knows about and encourages playing...
  She then grabbed 4-5 furry yarns, tied one end to a chair and tied the other end to an electric or battery-powered drill, and wound them all together to make a lei.  
 The hour + we spent there was well worth it…and now I’m sorry the class didn’t happen since it would have been a blast.  Mary’s grandson learned how to do the portrait quilt last year when he was 12 and the picture we saw is fabulous—it’s his twin Zoe and is a remarkable resemblance.  
  We went to a small nearby town that’s well known for Acaca Falls and had breakfast, then walked around looking at the local artists’ work in shops.  Steven called to say he was on his way home because his last client cancelled—good news for us not having to climb up that hill. 
 We had a quiet afternoon at his house and Matthew made pizza again rather than go out.  It’s really comfortable there and the breezes keep the heat down to a very manageable degree.  The cottage is at least 10 degrees hotter.  
 Today Steven joined us and we drove to Keeau to visit the other Matthew R. Clark.  He’s known as the younger, but goes by Matt, so it makes it easier.  Matt worked for Matthew years ago in the Bay Area before moving to Hawaii, getting married and having kids. He and Karen were at the wedding last week, and they invited us to see their 2 acres with the 30—year old fruit trees he’s been cultivating.  He has at least one variety of just about everything growing on the island.  We had a great tour around sampling fruit while Cyrus, the 3-year old picked flowers for me.  I had quite a bouquet before we left.


 Stopped for a late lunch on our way back, then said good-bye to Steven and sent him with whatever food we had left in the frig we won’t eat tomorrow.  I had to save one papaya for my last meal along with more of that avocado…though Steven got the bulk of it.  I should have taken a picture of it—they’re a different and huge variety here.  

  I think more adventuresome folks might like Mary’s cottage.  To me, it was camping with a permanently-pitched tent.  I never quite got used to the outdoor bathroom, which Steven explained is done because they don’t need permits for it.  The one early morning predawn trip I made out there without a flashlight found me running into the screen at the end of our bed, tripping over the chair, and finally turning on the light when I got near the outside door.   Second to last night I got smart and left the flashlight near the bed, so when I got up, I found my way without a problem.  It was 4:45 am and still dark, but I knew the sun was supposed to rise within the next 15-30 min.  What to do?  I NEVER am up to see the sunrise, and I do love sunsets….so I grabbed my robe, sandals, and camera/phone and headed outside.  Trouble the cat, of course, joined me and stood waiting with me.  It was too cloudy a day for much excitement, but I took pictures anyway; otherwise, no one would believe I was up that early.






 and through the screen as I came in...
So as I said earlier, camping indoors.  Here's what joined us in the bathroom last night: 
He's a stick insect that's about 4" long.  He just hung out near the shower head all night.  We did become quite adept at our evening game of flashing the light in the bathroom to find coqui (should be called croaky) frogs, then Matthew would gently lift them off and send them over the wall.  It didn't matter...the'd come back louder and stronger all night.   Supposedly they got their name by their sound which sounds like "coqui"...but I think it sounded like "catch me."  
We tried.
Heading home.  Stopped at Ken's House of Pancakes near the airport for the last heart-stopping meal of our trip.   And first class travel....nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Steps and New Aches

It's Not Just the Food...how about butterflies?

Bead Buying in the Czech Republic