TRIPPING ON TRIPS

 I hate cobblestone streets. I've always hated them...the first time in the 80's watching Parisian women in high heels walk naturally across them as I gingerly made my way in my sensible shoes. I've never understood how to maneuver them gracefully.
 That being said...


 Here we are in Ajijic, Mexico for the first of 3 trips in the next year for Matthew's extensive (and far less expensive) dental work. The town is supposed to be charming, though we got in around 6 pm yesterday so couldn't see much. We walked to the closest restaurant the hotel told us about for dinner around 7:30, and what I noticed were the cobblestone streets and broken sidewalks that ended abruptly. It's Mexico...it's always like this, especially when we first arrive. It takes a little getting used to--the streets often look like crap, but once inside the walls of La Mision
 a beautiful decor greeted us....tables surrounding a dropped stage area where 2 men played stringed instruments and piano. People here must eat early (after all, it is a well-known retirement area for x-pats) because about 3-4 tables were full, but by the time our first course arrived, we were the only ones left. We didn't feel rushed at all , however.
 I ordered the soup of the day, creamy zucchini, and Matthew had the Aztec soup where the crispy ingredients were in the bowl, then they poured the hot tomato-based broth over it. Both were pretty good. Main courses--me the ahi covered with huitlacoche with mashed sweet potato and M with pork chop and mashed potato were good, but nothing we had had much depth of flavor.




 Today was Matthew's dental appointment where he'd find out the treatment plan. He knew he needed at least 2 implants and an initial bone graft. First, we had breakfast at the Hotel Danza del Sol, where we have a one-bedroom villa with kitchen and living room. It's spacious, but in typical Mexican fashion, we have to get used to either asking for what we need or living without. We changed rooms immediately because we were downstairs and it was a very dark place. They had us go upstairs, so now we have high ceilings and more light during the day. These are the most interesting buildings...we have a large living room with 2 soft, sunken couches and a private patio outside that is walled on 3 sides. Very private.  A good sized dining room next to the kitchen and down the hall, our very large bedroom with 2 closets, one of which is a walk-in with a safe, and the bathroom. The way it's configured, it has high windows across from the dining room and kitchen most can't see out of or into and regular windows in the bedroom that look out on the courtyard below (their 'private patio') and across from the frosted windows in our living room. It's all very private, but mostly interior windows so you can't see what's going on outside the villa. It could definitely use updating and it would be an awesome place. Well, except we're way at the end of the huge complex, which is good in theory, but the neighborhood dogs barked all night and kept us up. Can we ever travel and actually sleep?
 We decided to walk a block up from us to buy coffee for our apartment and when on that street, explore the end of the block where we found a lovely French breakfast bistro and other restaurants down the street. We wandered over to the bistro to take a look, carefully making our way over the cobblestones (you knew I'd get back to them), and I missed seeing that a curb started small and got larger and tripped on the smallest part ... and fell right over onto the ground.
 Crap...again? didn't I trip on our last big trip too? Of course, it was in full view of everyone eating outside and one woman came over to see if I was okay. She said she had a broken elbow and knew a good orthopedic if I needed one. Hope not....  My knee was skinned (fortunately I carry bandaids), my right hand hurt like hell, and the worst was my left foot. I think I landed on the side of it and it's very bruised. I can't figure out how I landed on my right hand and left foot and skinned my right knee...guess it's good my head didn't get involved in the crash.
 As I hobbled back down the block we decided to stop for lunch at Yves, a recommended spot with gorgeous outdoor seating around a pool and fountain. Food was good, but not fabulous, but the best was key lime pie and the homemade Bailey's Irish Cream he said he's been making for 35 years. He's quite an interesting man. I was trying to figure out how to get the Bailey's home, but think we'll bring our own container that can be sealed well next time we come.
 In the middle of lunch, two adorable white burros were led into the back yard. When we met Yves after lunch, I asked him about the burros. He brought me into the room where they have a lovely salad bar set up in bowls on L-shaped tables and showed me pictures of Pedro Loco, a local character. Peter/Pedro moved to Ajijic and changed his name to Crazy Pedro, though he was anything but crazy. He had been a lawyer and loved to mess with people's minds. He bought a brown burro and said he didn't want a car, so he rode the burro to his local haunts while dressed as a Mexican cowboy in leathers and sombrero. Later, he got a brown burro and changed his image to a hippy, dressing accordingly. When he got the last burro, a pure white one, he found she couldn't ride her, so he had a cart on wheels built so he could have her drive him to his haunts, which included local bars.  About a year before he died, he asked Yves to take care of her, which he did. She also had had a baby, but Pedro's handyman sold her when he wasn't around, and he could never find her again. Yves found her a year ago and brought her back to his mama, so now he takes care of both.
A must-have beginning to any trip to Mexico

Mama

 They're very sweet and graze on the property nearby. We passed the little one just hanging out on our way out. Yves obviously had great admiration and love for his old friend who died 4 years ago at only 69. Sounds like he lived and played hard and on his own terms.
 I mentioned the salad bar because I told him it looked great and we'd be back one day for salad, so he proceeded to show us some of the dishes he particularly is proud of, like his marinated mushrooms. He scooped some up and handed us the spoon to grab one with our fingers to try. We also tried the quince gel--both very good. But that's something you'd never see in the States...just grab a piece off the spoon and try it.
 Ah, life in Mexico...
 We returned to the hotel with ice bought along the way and I sat on our patio with two plastic bags filled with ice. Always bring extra ziplock bags on vacation...one never knows when they'll be needed. My foot and hand are both very swollen, but I doubt anything is broken.
 I managed to put on a shoe for dinner because of course, I don't miss meals. We took a taxi downtown to Tango's, a highly recommended Argentinian restaurant. I know...more international foods here than anywhere except the Bay Area. I was hobbling, especially trying to get to the front of the hotel from our room...now no longer a good thing we're at the far end of the property, which by the way, has many levels with steps and ramps from our room to the front. ugh
 Tango's is known for their beef, but we read reviews raving about the rack of lamb--large portions and very good. We opted to share everything rather than steam through too much food. We started with a hearts of palm salad, which was tasty, then the lamb. It came with a choice of sides, so we opted for fries and a side of asparagus, which was perfectly cooked. My friend Tori suggested via text I have tequila to help with the pain, so I took her advice and ordered the melon margarita, which wasn't huge, thankfully, and costs $3. Matthew had 2...

  Our dinner was very good...lamb cooked perfectly. We had  enough chops to share and glad we did, so decided to splurge on dessert. After all, I'm injured and he's about to have dental work. Matthew ordered the flan, which was a wedge and very good. I told the waiter I wanted the Alfajor because I had no idea what it is and everything else had been delicious. And I didn't ask for an explanation either, which cracked him up.

It's two layered dough cookies with a caramel and nut and cajata filling which also surrounded it.

I cut it ope to show the cookie insides. It's served warm and is delicious...and very sweet. I think the little blobs on the plate were the cajata, which is caramelized sugar.
Very cute place with paintings by several different artists on the walls and little lights everywhere. 



You can't really see this, but the columns are shaped like tree trunks.
 Our only glitch was the restaurant tried calling for a taxi, but they weren't responding, so we had to walk up the street a couple of blocks to the main square and hail one. None were visible for a long time. Matthew asked the policeman who was standing nearby if we were in the right place, and he said they come right by there all the time. Not sure how long we waited and waited, which normally would have been okay, but ... about that sore foot.
 Finally I see the policeman hailing down one for us...so nice of him! Our driver told us the evenings are hard to get taxis because people have already reserved them ahead of time. He gave us his card so we can arrange rides when needed.
 So this became all about my "trips" on our trip, which I hope not to repeat. Matthew will have extensive bone graft and sinus lift surgery on Monday afternoon, so it's good we are staying until Friday. The dentist recommended 3 full recovery days. He'll be on antibiotics and pain meds for at least 2 of those days...and I've checked out where to find good soup to go for him. We will be returning in about 6 months and then again for the crowns in another 4-6 months. So if we can't get around too much this weekend, at least we know we'll be back again. 



Comments

  1. Sounds like you're really "trippin.'" I hope you're alright! It sounds like an interesting place. I do hope Matthew's surgery goes well. We'll be thinking about you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful!!!

    Glad you're having a yummy time even though you got hurt. Good luck to Matthew on the surgery! Bob appetit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Favorite Cat

Small Steps and New Aches