The Nine Foot Knitted Wrap!

  I recently finished knitting a shawl, which now I call a wrap since it is a bit out of control for a shawl.  When one knits on circular needles, it's hard to judge exactly how long the piece actually is since it all hangs together.  Because I'm under 5'3" I didn't want a real wide or long shawl, so I was careful to stop before it overwhelmed me.  What I didn't realize until I washed and blocked it last night is the length--it is over 9 feet long!
                   
  When I tried it on before blocking, I hung it over my neck and each side reached almost down to my shoes, so I will have to wrap it around me in some creative way in or der to wear and not trip over it.  Oh, and blocking might make it a bit LONGER.   But let's hope not....I'm actually doing more to stretch it width-wise.
                       
  Surprisingly, I have yarn left over from this!  The purple edging and blue variegated were both purchased over a couple of years at Stitches West, so since it's coming up again next month, I'm glad I've gotten into that part of my stash, just in case I buy more yarn this year (picture all my knitting friends reading this and laughing at that absurd comment).
  Now for the tell-all about the shawl/wrap.   It's supposed to be a chevron pattern.  When I started it, I realized the pattern repeated every 43 or 44 stitches, so since I didn't want to have to count it out every time, I placed stitch markers along the way.   I thought I was being brilliant, but in reality, I was screwing up the pattern--because it has increases, which means the stitch markers should technically move each time.  About halfway through knitting, I realized my error, so what to do?  Should I just keep going so it looked like it was meant to be knitted this way or start doing it the right way, even though half would be different from the other half?  Okay, since most people who read my blog do know me, it will come as no surprise that I changed it halfway through just to see what would happen.
  I have now renamed the stitch pattern--no longer a 'chevron' pattern...I've renamed it exxon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Steps and New Aches

It's Not Just the Food...how about butterflies?

Bead Buying in the Czech Republic