Medically Boring

1/2/2018

 According to ophthalmologist, everyone will eventually have cataracts and need surgery. This was my day.
 Last month, I learned about the different types of lenses one can get and hoped I'd "qualify" for multi-focal which would correct both near and far and eliminate the need for glasses. These are paid out-of-pocket because they're elective over choosing near or far sight lenses only. Unfortunately, I did not, so opted for the far distance lens. I have been excited about getting this done because my sight has been affected, especially when driving. 
 But having any kind of surgery, even one considered "easy," isn't so easy. First, I learned I'd be using 2 eye drops twice the morning of the surgery and then 4 times a day every day for a week, then 1 drop 3 times, then 2, until the fourth week, which is only once a day. Yikes! I hate putting anything into my eyes! The nurse suggested I practice with saline first. I did that the weekend before and the first drop went in without a problem. Yay! Then after 6 tries of getting my face all wet, I finally found my left eye. This could be a problem.
 Timing was also going to be interesting since most patients don't live 40-60 min. away depending on traffic. We had to leave early, around 7:45 with directions to use the drops 30 min. before leaving the house and again just as we were about to leave--2 sets with 5 min. apart for each. So I did get the first set done, but should have allowed a little extra time for nerves and misses. I did all right though. But to get them done 30 min before arriving, we had to pull off the road so I could do the second set (those who do drops regularly might have been able to do it in a moving vehicle, but not this girl...hard enough sitting still).  It actually helped having Matthew tell me how far away I was from my target, so they went in more easily. 
 I arrived a little early--surprisingly light traffic--with my eyes dilated ready to get this over with. They didn't mention my blood pressure, but I'm sure it was higher than normal. Surgery wasn't scheduled until 10:30, so I had a long wait, but they took me immediately to start my prep. The nurse had me change with fast directions, which I found hard to process due to nerves and Matthew standing behind her looking like he wanted to say something. He just wanted to kiss me good-bye since he was heading to the waiting room. I had to ask her to repeat what to do with the foot covers, then took everything off and put on the gown open completely in the back, which I did hear her say. I came out to the busy room and asked if this was right--should I have taken everything off? Oops...no, she should have said just waist up. Back I go to gladly put on my pants. She was distracted because she was covering for another nurse who was busy with an older woman who was also having cataract surgery. 
 I was seated in a chair awaiting a bed, where they took my vitals, asked me  questions I'd already answered--when did I last eat, drink, etc. the nurse started my IV, but my veins are often hard to find, and I should have told her to use a small needle because she said she got some blood, but then the vein blew and she had to try elsewhere. I have never been good with needles and blood, so even hearing this made me go dizzy. I obviously must have paled because she asked if I was okay, and I said no, I was feeling light-headed and dizzy. I was close to passing out--everything was white, and I was sweating. She managed to get the smaller needle in another vein, and I started feeling better. 
 They had a bed for me, so we walked to the end of the room and got me horizontal. Nurses came and went and the anesthesiologist also checked in to see me. Two nurses discussed me--no allergies, no metal plates, no implants--and commented I am "medically boring," and I said I'd like to keep it that way. I loved that phrase--whoever thought being called boring would be something good to hear.
 I thought the overall care was very good at Kaiser Redwood City. I am happy I had both done in one day so I don't have to repeat the experience. 
 The surgery itself didn't take too long--they told me it would be about 55 min. The doctor has a great, calm voice and as soon as he spoke, I relaxed. I was given an anesthesia, but could still hear and see everything. Well, not exactly see everything, but my eye was propped open. He didn't give me the blow-by-blow of what was going on--probably good so I didn't go white again--but the second eye, my right, felt pressure and some discomfort when he worked on it. And even though its cataract was smaller, the left eye was the clearer one in the evening.
 The best part of the day was getting home around 1 pm and heading back to bed. Farwell, our sweet old kitty, joined me and spent the afternoon sleeping on my chest. We didn't move for almost 3 hours. He apparently was not freaked by the goggles I have to wear for the day and evening. 
 I am happy to start 2018 with better eyesight. 

1/5/2018
 I went for the post-op appointment and while waiting to go in, texted a friend and realized I was wearing the googles and not my glasses and could see very well. The eye test showed my vision as 20/20! I had also noticed how clear signs and buildings were on my way down the highway.
 We don't realize how our vision is changing because it's gradual. Then suddenly, we notice everything is blurry. But when that's corrected, we do realize how out of sync our vision had become. Looking at our view, I thought it looked like our windows had been very dirty and now were suddenly cleaned. Buildings had sharp edges, and I was mesmerized by the cloud formations. I could see the delineation between the clouds that were not there the day before.
 I did have one minor worry. The second night, I turned out the living room light and could not see a thing...no shadows of furniture, etc. I tried not to worry, figuring it's probably a side-effect and the eyes would adjust and dilate naturally eventually. Even so, I emailed the doctor to ask because I couldn't find anything on the Internet stating it was normal. He did assure me it's fine and I'll see the shadows again within the week. I was even able to drive 48 hours after surgery!
 Needless to say, doing the eye drops has improved dramatically. I rarely miss and should be an expert by the time this is over in 4 weeks. 


Comments

  1. Happy it turned out well. This story reminds me of a podiatrist intern friend of mine back in the day. He asked an old lady to take off her hose and left the room. When he returned, she was naked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom tells the story of greeting her first pair of glasses after coming to America. As she walked back to the office she was in awe of all the leaves on the trees; prior to getting the glasses all she saw were green blobs. When am older woman at work asked how she found her new glasses, my mother replied: Everything is so clear. I can see all your wrinkles. Needless to say this response wasn't well received.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Steps and New Aches

It's Not Just the Food...how about butterflies?

Bead Buying in the Czech Republic