Leaving

 I feel like I'm not young enough for Amsterdam. Or as my husband put it, I don't drink, I don't smoke weed, I don't like museums (just don't like to spend hours and hours them), and I don't or can't walk for miles on uneven streets.
 We hit King's Day yesterday just by chance. We didn't know about it ahead of time. It's a huge country party for the king's birthday -- everyone wears orange, drinks, dances, and parties heavily all day and evening. The tram schedule is modified and crowded, most stores and many restaurants are closed, people put out clothes and goods to buy like a giant flea market, and the canals are full of boats filled with people. It was also very cold, windy, and rainy which made it less desirable than it already was for a woman who doesn't drink or smoke.

And yes, men piss in the streets. At least these guys were using the intended urinals, which happened to be placed at the tram station right in the middle of the busy street. 
We could only get tickets for Anne Frank House on this day at 2:45 entry followed by tickets from 4-5 at the Rijksmuseum--not nearby. I'm so glad I got to see Anne Frank's annex after reading her diary and teaching about it years ago (about 10-12 times) to 8th graders. I know the story well, and seeing the diaries was one of those bucket list items. 
We tried to race to the museum right afterwards, but since the trams were off schedule, ours didn't arrive when it should have, so we got to the museum at 5:02. They said it was closed, then finally let us in for the special Rembrandt exhibit, which closed at 6. We paid for something we didn't get, which is ridiculous. Why sell tickets for entry from 4-5 when it closes at 5?? Matthew was sure it closed at 9. We were literally kicked out at 6.

 These were mesmerizing--organic silk that flops down into flower shapes, then rise and fall again.
Below are some of the tiny Rembrandts that are so detailed.


 I had to take one photo from a larger painting...his work is exquisite to see in person. Too bad we had to rush through. Or maybe not, since I "hate" museums.  ;-)
Heading to Prague now. Hoping the blister will heal, the leg cramp will go away, and buying beads will help me relax and sleep. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Steps and New Aches

It's Not Just the Food...how about butterflies?

Bead Buying in the Czech Republic